Thursday 29 November 2007

How are you spelling that?

Songs where a word is spelled out for the benefit of the listener, or perhaps just because the songwriter needed to fill up an awkward gap.

  • 'A' Bomb in Wardour Street - The Jam: A.P.O.C.A.L.Y.P.S.E. apocalypse!
  • A.B.C. - The Jackson Five. Technically they're not really spelling out a word.
  • B.A.B.Y. - Rachel Sweet
  • D.I.S.C.O. - Ottowan
  • D.I.V.O.R.C.E. - Tammy Wynette, Billy Connolly
  • D.O.A. - The Foo Fighters
  • Don't You Love Me No More? by Henry Priestman - R.E. D.U.N. D. A. N. T. spells "misery". Not sure he's got that quite right, but heck, great song.
    (YouTube)
  • Feeling Called Love - Pulp. F.E.E.L.I.N.G. C.A. Double L.E.D. L.O.V.E.
  • Fire in Cairo - The Cure. F.I.R.E.I.N.C.A.I.R.O.
  • Give Him A Great Big Kiss - The Shangri Las. When I say I'm in love you best believe I'm in love L.U.V. (Also quoted by the New York Dolls in the intro to Looking For A Kiss.)
  • Gloria - Van Morrison. G.L.O.R.I.A.
  • H.A.P.P.Y. Radio - Edwin Starr. Station H.A. (H.A.) P.P.Y.
  • H.O.A.R. - Bo Burnham. With a capital H-O-A-R / Ignorance is bliss / Who needs feminism / With an ass like this.
  • Legal Man - Belle & Sebastian. L.O.V.E. love is coming back.
  • L.O.V.E. - Nat King Cole, Joss Stone. L is for the way you look at me /
    O is for the only one I see /
    V is very, very extraordinary /
    E is even more than anyone that you adore can.
  • L.O.V.E. - Al Green
  • M.E.T.H.O.D. Man - Method Man (also a contendor the eponymous records list I haven't posted yet) (YouTube)
  • Pinhead - The Ramones. D.U.M.B. everyone's accusing me.
  • P.R.E.T.T.Y.G.R.E.E.N. - in Pretty Green covered by Mark Ronson feat. Santo Gold
  • P.U.N.K. Girl - Heavenly (YouTube)
  • R.A.M.O.N.E.S. - The Ramones
  • Respect - Aretha Franklin: R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
  • R.O.C.K. - Bill Haley
  • R.O.C.K. in the USA - John Cougar Mellencamp
  • Rollin' - Limp Biskit. L.I.M.P. Biskit is right here.
  • Venice Queen - Red Hot Chilli Peppers. G.L.O.R.I.A. Is love my friend
  • Y.M.C.A. - The Village People
  • Yvonne - The Saw Doctors. Y.V. O.N.N.E. Yvonne.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

L.O.V.E. Nat King Cole

Unknown said...

Do bands count? There is a band called "NERD" (Nobody Ever Really Dies"

p.p. Thomas Baird