Thursday 24 January 2008

And don't forget the Joker

Lemmy's passionate defence of gambling has once again come to my ears, and prompted me to start a list of songs mentioning cards of the playing variety.

  • The Ace of Spades - Motorhead
  • The Queen of Spades - Styx, also in Shape of My Heart - Sting.
  • The Queen of Hearts - Dave Edmunds, and in Desperado - The Eagles.
  • The Queen of Diamonds, in Desperado - The Eagles. Also a track by Chiodos.
  • The Queen of Clubs - KC and The Sunshine Band. Cheating, this one.
  • Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts - Bob Dylan
  • The Jack of Diamonds, in Shape of My Heart - Sting.
  • Jack O'Diamonds - Odetta.
  • She's Got The Jack - AC/DC. I think they may mean that metaphorically.
  • From a Jack to a King - Ned Miller
  • Deck of Cards - T. Texas Tyler and many others. And a special mention for Max Boyce for his Welsh Rugby Union Rulebook version.

No comments: